The Islamic Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding Peace at the Heart of Islam

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
~Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem~ Salam Alaikum, Welcome sisters and brothers, Muslim and Non-Muslim friends! Come learn and share with us.

Fasting Woman Unsure If Menses Began before or after Sunset

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Obedient Angel
Admin
Admin

Fasting Woman Unsure If Menses Began before or after Sunset Empty
PostSubject: Fasting Woman Unsure If Menses Began before or after Sunset   Fasting Woman Unsure If Menses Began before or after Sunset Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 12:35 am

I fasted today from dawn until sunset. After sunset, I broke my fast and offered the Maghrib prayer. Shortly thereafter, I went to the bathroom and say that my monthy menstrual period had started. I have no idea whether it started before Maghrib or afterwards. Do I have to make that day of fasting over again?

You should not make up that day of fasting. This is because there is no way for you to be certain that your menstrual period began before sunset. As long as there is any doubt about when your menstrual period started, you do not go against the previous assumption based on the certainty that you were not menstruating.

You fasted the day upon the certainty that you were not menstruating. You only became certain that you had begun to menstruate when you saw the blood after sunset.

Likewise, the default assumption regarding your fasting for that day is that a fast that you have observed from beginning to end is a valid fast. This validity cannot be overturned by something wherein there is any doubt.

Your fast is intact. The legal principle here is that certainty is never overturned by doubt.

And Allah knows best.
Back to top Go down

Fasting Woman Unsure If Menses Began before or after Sunset
Page 1 of 1