The Islamic Haven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finding Peace at the Heart of Islam

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
~Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem~ Salam Alaikum, Welcome sisters and brothers, Muslim and Non-Muslim friends! Come learn and share with us.

Color of Clothing for Muslim Women

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Obedient Angel
Admin
Admin

Color of Clothing for Muslim Women Empty
PostSubject: Color of Clothing for Muslim Women   Color of Clothing for Muslim Women Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 am

I met a sister in Turkey, dressed in black. When I asked why black, she cited a Hadith. What is this Hadith? Do women need to dress in black? I read a Hadith that our Prophet preferred white. Can women dress in white? Can you explain the importance of color in dress? If color is related to being less attractive, it may be that in some countries black may be more attractive than white. What do you think?

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

The most required quality in the dress of the Muslim woman is that it should be large and thick enough to cover her complete body. It should also be modest and should not be similar to men's dress. The colour or the quality of the dress does not have any importance as long as this dress meets all the above conditions.

As for the Hadith the sister mentioned in which the Prophet asked Muslim women to wear black coloured clothes, we do not know any Hadith with this meaning and we do not know any Scholar who urged Muslim women to wear black clothes. But there is a Hadith proving that wearing black coloured clothes is permissible. Imam Bukhari narrated from Umm Khalid she said: "Some clothes were presented to Allah's Apostle as a gift and there was a black Khamisa with it. The Prophet asked (his companions), "To whom do you suggest we give this Khamisa?" The people kept quiet. Then he said, "Bring me Um Khalid." So I was brought to him and he dressed me with it with his own hands and said twice, "May you live so long that you will wear out many garments." A woman is not obliged to wear a black cloth since the evidences prove that any colour could be worn if it meets the above Islamic conditions.

As for the Hadith the sister mentioned in which the Prophet asked Muslim women to wear black coloured clothes, we do not know any Hadith with this meaning and we do not know any Scholar who urged Muslim women to wear black clothes. But there is a Hadith proving that wearing black coloured clothes is permissible. Imam Bukhari narrated from Umm Khalid she said: "Some clothes were presented to Allah's Apostle as a gift and there was a black Khamisa with it. The Prophet asked (his companions), "To whom do you suggest we give this Khamisa?" The people kept quiet. Then he said, "Bring me Um Khalid." So I was brought to him and he dressed me with it with his own hands and said twice, "May you live so long that you will wear out many garments."

A woman is not obliged to wear a black cloth since the evidences prove that any colour could be worn if it meets the above Islamic conditions.As for the Hadith you read and which urges Muslims to wear white clothes it is a sound Hadeeth. The Prophet said: "Wear white garments, for they are the best and the cleanest and you enshroud dead in them".

As for the Hadith you read and which urges Muslims to wear white clothes it is a sound Hadeeth. The Prophet said: "Wear white garments, for they are the best and the cleanest and you enshroud dead in them".As for your question about women wearing white clothes we did not find any evidence prohibiting wearing white colour for women, as we did not also find any scholar who prohibits it. But one should be careful of two things:

1. If the woman is in a country where women do not wear white garments and only men wear them, it is better for women to avoid wearing clothes of such colour to avoid imitating men, and to avoid a dress of fame or celebrity. The Prophet prohibited it. The Prophet said: "If any one wears a garment to gain fame Allah will clothe him in a disgraced garment on the day of Resurrection". The scholars said: "Every garment which is unique and not similar to the general garments of people is considered as a garment worn for gaining fame".

2. A woman is asked to be well covered and dressed modestly. No doubt, that colours other than white are more appropriate for this purpose. As for preferring the white colour it is desirable as mentioned above. Muslim scholars like the green colour too for the Hadith of Abu Rimthah he said: "I saw two green garments over the Prophet". Moreover this is the garment of the dwellers of The Paradise. Allah Says (interpretation of meaning): {Their garments will be of fine green silk, and gold embroidery.} [76: 21].

Some scholars dislike wearing pure red coloured clothes and clothes dyed with saffron while others do not dislike them. There are Hadiths that the Prophet wore a red garment, and other Hadith that he wore two garments dyed with saffron.
Allah knows best.

[Islam web]

2. Is it haram for a woman to wear coloured clothes even if it fulfils the conditions of hijab? If it is haraam, then is there a hadeeth or verse to prove that? What is meant by saying it should not be an adornment in itself?

Praise be to Allah.

It is not one of these conditions that it should be black. A woman may wear whatever she wants, so long as she does not wear a colour that is only for men , and she does not wear a garment that is an adornment in itself, i.e. decorated and adorned in such a way that it attracts the gaze of men, because of the general meaning of the verse (interpretation of the meaning):

“… and not to show off their adornment…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

This general meaning includes the outer garment, if it is decorated. Abu Dawood (565) narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Do not prevent the female slaves of Allah from attending the mosques of Allaah, but let them go out unadorned.” [Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 515]

It says in ‘Awn al-Ma’bood:

“ ‘Unadorned’ means not wearing perfume … they are commanded to go out like this and are forbidden to wear perfume. That also includes other things which are forbidden because they provoke desire such as beautiful clothing and visible and expensive adornment.”

What a woman must do if she appears before non-mahram men is to avoid clothes that are decorated and adorned, which attract the gaze of men.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (17/100):

It is not permissible for a woman to go out in a decorated garment that attracts people’s gaze, because this is something that tempts men.

It also says (17/108):

The dress of the Muslim woman need not only be black. It is permissible for her to wear any colour of clothing so long as it covers her ‘awrah, does not resemble men’s clothing, and is not so tight as to show the shape of her limbs or so thin as to show what is beneath it, and does not provoke temptation.

And it says (17/109):

Wearing black for women is not a must. They may wear other colours that are worn only by women, do not attract attention and do not provoke desire.

Many women choose to wear black not because it is obligatory, but because it is farthest removed from being an adornment. There are reports which indicate that the women of the Sahaabah used to wear black. Abu Dawood (4101) narrated that Umm Salamah said: “When the words ‘and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)’ [al-Noor 24:31 – interpretation of the meaning] were revealed, the women of the Ansaar went out looking as if there were crows on their heads because of their garments.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

The Standing Committee (17/110) said: This is to be understood as meaning that those clothes were black in colour.

And Allaah knows best.

[Islam Q and A]
Back to top Go down

Color of Clothing for Muslim Women
Page 1 of 1